June 28 – August 13, 2021
How to Participate:
Register for the program at the Library, over the phone, or ONLINE beginning June 28th. Children will complete activities to earn prizes. Each activity is worth one point and may be repeated as many times as they’d like.
The activities are:
- Read (or listen to) a book or magazine for 20 minutes
- Write a review or draw a picture about a book
- Read a TumbleBook
- Listen to a book: an audiobook CD, Playaway audio, Vox book or Wonderbook
- Attend an outdoor Library program
- Go on a Page Turner Adventure
- Download a book from eZone or Hoopla
- Check out a Launchpad
- Watch a virtual storytime
- In-Library I Spy or vote in the “Terrific Tail Tournament”
Please log your activities in the paper activity tracker OR online, not both. And remember, one action may count as multiple activity points. For example, if you attend an outdoor storytime where we read a book to you, that counts as 2 points!
Who can participate?
- Babies through kids going into grade 6 in September. Little ones can participate by having someone read to them.
- For every 10 points a child earns, they are eligible to come into the Library to receive a prize. By earning 50 points, they will complete the program and get their final prize!
- Prizes are available for pickup anytime after the program start date of June 28th once a child has reached a 10 point milestone.
- Grand prizes will be raffled off weekly to those who participate in the “Terrific Tail Tournament”. Each week children can come into the library and vote for their favorite animal tail! Children must be registered for the summer reading challenge in order to win a grand prize.
The statewide Rhode Island Summer Reading program is supported by the RI Office of Library and Information Services, with funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Local support is provided by the Newport Public Library, the Friends of the Newport Public Library and the City of Newport.