Please consider a tax-deductible gift to the Newport Public Library. You may donate to the Library at any time. The Newport Public Library is committed to serving our community with innovative and effective programs and services for all ages.
- Donate by Check – make checks payable and mail to the Newport Public Library at 300 Spring Street, Newport RI 02840.
- Donate Online – Simply click the button at the bottom of this page. Thank you!
As a private, 501(C)(3) organization, we depend on the generosity of the city of Newport, the State of Rhode Island, and on your contributions in order to grow and serve our community.
The Perfect Gift Program
Celebrate a special occasion, honor someone you love, or remember a loved one through The Perfect Gift program. Twenty-five dollars will place a Book Plate in a new book, remembering or honoring a person special to you. That person (or that person’s family) will receive a card, acknowledging your gift. For more information, please contact the Administration Office 401-847-8720 x100.
Friends of the Library
Join the Friends of the Newport Public Library, shop at the Friends Book Store, volunteer to work there, or donate materials.
How to Donate Items to the Bookstore
The Friends’ Bookstore welcomes donations of gently used books of resale quality. We also accept audiobooks, current textbooks and magazines, and DVDs. Small donations (1-2 bags or 1 box) may be left at the Friends’ Bookstore. Large donations (2 or more boxes) may be delivered to the loading dock on the south side of the building from 10 AM to 4 PM. Ring the bell for assistance or if you need a tax deductible donation slip. Thank you for supporting the Library!
1. Isn’t the Newport Public Library a department of the city?
It sounds like it is, but it is not. The library is established as a 501(C)(3) organization. This means that it is a separate, not-for-profit organization governed by its own Board of Trustees who represent a cross section of the community, and who volunteer their time and expertise. The Newport City Council has a representative on the Board.
2. Does the City of Newport give any money to the library?
Absolutely. The City of Newport and the State of Rhode Island both support the library’s annual budget. On average the city provides 77% and the state 17% of the library’s annual budget.
The library itself raises from 5-8% of its annual budget, through various fund-raising endeavors such as our Annual Appeal in the Fall and The Event – a summertime fund-raising affair. This is coupled with monies collected through fines, interest income, memorial donations, our Perfect Gift Program, and some major gifts from Friends of the Library.
3. Why donate to the Newport Public Library?
With its mission of “life-long learning for the entire community” the Newport Public Library is one facility that truly serves the entire community.
- The library offers a myriad of children’s programs, many of which insure that pre-schoolers will enter school with the skills needed to read and learn.
- School children of all grade levels have access to resources, both in the library and online, that will help them complete school assignments.
- Adults have access to print, non-print and online resources that will keep them informed, encourage and support learning, and entertain.
- Community members and organizations have access to meeting rooms and other resources that support community endeavors.
- All of this takes place in a safe, clean and comfortable environment.