Employment opportunities at the Newport Public Library will be posted here as they become available.
Administrative Assistant (Full Time)
The Newport Public Library seeks an experienced and expert Administrative Assistant with at least 3 years’ experience and a proven ability to aid the Library Director and the Finance Manager in completing varied tasks. The successful candidate will be expected to maintain a professional and calm demeanor while respectfully working with supervisors, colleagues, and the public.
Please send current resume to [email protected]. Three references will be requested for candidates after their initial interview. This position will be posted until filled.
Your duties will include, but are not limited to, performing the following functions:
- Answering incoming calls, determining purpose of call and transferring calls, taking and delivering messages when necessary;
- Greeting and assisting patrons as well as staff members with general and operation inquiries;
- Resolving administrative issues that may arise;
- Preparing and modifying memos, emails, invoices, receipts, any other forms of correspondence (Word and Adobe Acrobat);
- Creating and maintaining spreadsheets and other reports as needed (Excel);
- Updating and maintaining sick and vacation accrual time sheets for employees (Excel);
- Entering invoices into QuickBooks and maintaining vendor information (digital and paper file maintenance);
- Maintaining front desk procedures including contact information, directions, and frequently requested company information (policies and procedures);
- Distributing mail and packages;
- Scheduling appointments and meetings, as well as administering the Library’s meeting rooms (LibCal);
- Creating, updating, and maintain personnel files;
- Being responsible for the expected clerical duties such as photocopying, faxing, and preparing outgoing mail;
- Maintaining office supply inventories;
- Coordinating maintenance of office equipment.
Education and Experience:
- An absolute minimum of 3 years of administrative assistant experience;
- Expert computer skills of appropriate software including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, QuickBooks invoice entries; Adobe Acrobat; other software helpful;
- Knowledge of clerical and administrative procedures and systems such as filing and record keeping;
- Knowledge of principles and practices of basic office management;
- Knowledge of operation of standard office equipment;
- High school graduate, and with a strong and proven track record in office administration.
- Well-organized, reliable, punctual;
- Attention to details and accuracy when planning on projects;
- Prioritizing multiple tasks and duties that may have competing timelines;
- Friendly, outgoing, and welcoming conduct when working with the public;
- Flexibility and the willingness and ability to adapt to a changing workload;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license;
- Eligible for permanent employment in the United States;
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check;
- Discretion when handling and processing sensitive information;
- Maturity, tactfulness, resourcefulness, ability to work well under pressure.
Work may occasionally involve walking, bending, squatting, reaching, stretching, and traveling outside of the Library if necessary. Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an indoor office setting at the Library. Must be able to concentrate and focus during periods of ambient noise, stress, interruptions, and the occasional temperature fluctuation. The Newport Public Library is a friendly, collegial workplace in an expertly maintained and comfortable property.
- The position of Administrative Assistant is exempt from the wage and overtime provisions of the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act;
- Salary range is from $35,000-$38,000 per year, depending on experience and qualifications. Salaries increase annually over 10 years with cost of living adjustments;
- A work week consists of 37.5 hours per week, Monday-Friday, from 8:30 AM-5:00 PM;
- Compensatory time is earned at a rate of one full work day per month for both sick and vacation;
- 14 paid holidays per year and a short excused absence allowance (14 hours per year);
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, pension plan (TIAA).
The position of Administrative Assistant works with, represents, and reports to the Library Director. The Newport Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and especially welcomes residents of Newport to apply.
Library Associate (Full Time)
The Newport Public Library is hiring a Library Associate. The Library Associate performs duties pertinent to all Borrower Services responsibilities: checking materials in and out, renewing materials, registering new library patrons and renewing cards, promptly and courteously answering the central desk telephone, retrieving items for paging list (training provided), and notifying patrons regarding reserved materials availability. The successful candidate provides patron assistance and responds to questions and concerns. The position requires that you guide patrons through using the Library self-checkout machines when needed. Other duties include but are not limited to sorting, distributing, processing materials from other libraries, as well as sorting and shelving materials. Strong customer service skills, the willingness to go the extra mile, and the ability to solve problems on behalf of the patron are absolutely essential.
The Newport Public Library will provide comprehensive training for its ILS (Sierra), including time to attend classes provided by the Library’s consortium, Ocean State Libraries. The ability to interpret and enforce Library policies is required at all times, and is the responsibility of each employee. The successful candidate will have a working knowledge of email and Microsoft Office. Please highlight other software skills on your resume.
This position is for full-time employment of 35 hours per week, including some evenings and Saturdays. Specific hours are subject to change based on the needs of the Library. The Newport Public Library offers a generous benefits package, including health, dental and life insurance, 14 paid holidays per year, as well as paid vacation, sick, and personal leave after three months and upon successful completion of the probation period. The schedule is always set in the best interests of the Library and may change over time.
The Newport Public Library is an absolute equal opportunity employer, and urges all residents of Newport with exceptional public service experience and skills to apply.
The position is open to those with exceptional customer service skills. No previous library experience is necessary, but if you enjoy working with and for the public please note this in your resume. Those with previous employment in the hospitality industry are encouraged to apply. The position will require extensive on-the-job training.
General Circulation duties, under the supervision of the Department Head:
- Greeting patrons
- Issuing library cards
- Processing library card renewals
- Processing library fines
- Checking library materials in and out
- Sorting and shelving library materials
- Answering and routing phone calls
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to handle difficult situations with patience, maturity, and tact
- Positive attitude
- Friendly disposition
- Strong communication skills
- Strong sense of initiative
- Ability and willingness to take direction from the Department Head
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability and willingness to follow and enforce Library policies, as determined by the Director
Ability to operate standard office equipment; transport carts of materials which can weigh more than 50 pounds across a level floor or on a ramp; carry baskets of materials weighing up to 30 pounds; pay attention to details and concentrate on tasks despite frequent interruptions and moderate noise levels; communicate effectively and exchange accurate information with coworkers and members of the public; read and organize written material; place library materials on shelves or carts which can be located at floor level or overhead. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
$30,370.00-33,215.00 over 10 steps with annual Cost of Living Adjustments.