Posted: July 18, 2023. Posting effective until filled.
The Newport Public Library seeks an experienced and expert Administrative Assistant with at least 3 years’ experience and a proven ability to aid the Library Director in completing varied tasks. The successful candidate will be expected to maintain a professional and calm demeanor while respectfully working with supervisors, colleagues, and the public.
Please send current resume to [email protected]. Three references will be requested for candidates after their initial interview. This position will be posted until filled.
Your duties will include, but are not limited to, performing the following functions:
- Answering incoming calls, determining purpose of call and transferring calls, taking and delivering messages when necessary;
- Greeting and assisting patrons as well as staff members with general and operational inquiries;
- Resolving administrative issues that may arise;
- Preparing and modifying memos, emails, invoices, receipts, any other forms of correspondence (Word and Adobe Acrobat);
- Creating and maintaining spreadsheets and other reports as needed (Excel);
- Updating and maintaining sick and vacation accrual time sheets for employees (Excel);
- Entering invoices into QuickBooks and maintaining vendor information (digital and paper file maintenance);
- Maintaining front desk procedures including contact information, directions, and frequently requested company information (policies and procedures);
- Accepting and distributing mail and packages;
- Scheduling appointments and meetings, as well as administering the Library’s meeting rooms (LibCal);
- Creating, updating, and maintaining personnel files;
- Being responsible for expected clerical duties such as photocopying, faxing, and preparing outgoing mail;
- Maintaining office supply inventories;
- Coordinating maintenance of office equipment.
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of 3 years of administrative assistant experience;
- Expert computer skills of appropriate software including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, QuickBooks invoice entries; Adobe Acrobat; other software helpful;
- Knowledge of clerical and administrative procedures and systems such as filing and record keeping;
- Knowledge of principles and practices of basic office management;
- Knowledge of operation of standard office equipment;
- High school graduate, and with a strong and proven track record in office administration.
- Well-organized, reliable, punctual;
- Attention to details and accuracy when planning on projects;
- Prioritizing multiple tasks and duties that may have competing timelines;
- Friendly, outgoing, and welcoming conduct when working with the public;
- Flexibility and the willingness and ability to adapt to a changing workload;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license;
- Eligible for permanent employment in the United States;
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check;
- Discretion when handling and processing sensitive information;
- Maturity, tactfulness, resourcefulness, ability to work well under pressure.
Work may occasionally involve walking, bending, squatting, reaching, stretching, and traveling outside of the Library if necessary. Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an indoor office setting at the Library. Must be able to concentrate and focus despite ambient noise, stress, interruptions, and the occasional temperature fluctuation. The Newport Public Library is a friendly, collegial workplace in an expertly maintained and comfortable property.
- The position of Administrative Assistant is exempt from the wage and overtime provisions of the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act;
- Salary range is from $35,000-$38,000 per year, depending on experience and qualifications. Salaries increase annually over 10 years with cost of living adjustments;
- A work week consists of 37.5 hours per week, Monday-Friday, from 8:30 AM-5:00 PM;
- Compensatory time is earned at a rate of one full work day per month for both sick and vacation;
- 14 paid holidays per year and a short excused absence allowance (14 hours per year);
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, pension plan (TIAA).
The position of Administrative Assistant works with, represents, and reports to the Library Director. The Newport Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and especially welcomes residents of Newport to apply.