The Newport Public Library (“the Library”) maintains a Maker Lab for public use. Maker labs are spaces set aside in the Library for self-directed exploration of past, current, and emerging technologies. Available equipment includes:
- 3-D printer
- Vinyl cutter
Guidelines for Use
- Generally there is no charge for use. The Library reserves the right to initiate charges to offset cost of materials as necessary.
- Job requests may only be made by Ocean State Libraries card holders in good standing.
- Job requests are for personal use only—commercial use of the equipment is prohibited.
- It is expressly prohibited:
- To create any object that is intended to physically harm, or attempt to harm, a person or an animal in any way.
- To create obscene or inappropriate materials.
- To create any object that violates or infringes upon a patent, trademark, or other proprietary right. Use of Library equipment shall follow all legal guidelines. U.S. Copyright Law governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
- The Library does not guarantee a successful project. Failed projects may be attempted two more times.
- Please allow two weeks for job requests to be filled.
- Items that are not picked up after one month will be discarded.
- Maker equipment can only be operated under the supervision of designated Library staff.
- The Library is not responsible for the subsequent safety of any item made with Library Maker Lab equipment.
Project Request Procedures
- Patrons must provide output ready files; Library staff are available for processing assistance only.
- Patrons must complete a job request form online for files emailed to [email protected]; patrons may also fill out the form at the Library and dropped off with the file on a USB flash drive.
- The Library reserves the right to schedule only one print per week per person or entity.
- The Library reserves the right to review all files before printing.
- The Library reserves the right to modify procedures as necessary.
3D Specific Procedures
- Files must be a compatible file format. Check with Library staff for compatible formats.
- The Library’s 3-D printer uses only PLA filament at this time.
- Filament colors are limited to Library stock.
- Files must be no larger than 25 MB.
- We cannot accommodate print jobs that require more than 5 hours.
- We cannot accommodate print requests that include multiple copies of a single object. Project files that include multiple, unique objects are allowed, such as components that complete a single object.
Vinyl Cutter Specific Procedures
- Files must be provided in compatible file format. Check with Library staff for compatible formats.
- Design creation software has been loaded on some Library computers available for public use.
- Sticker vinyl and iron-on vinyl colors are limited to Library stock.
- Users of vinyl albums can book the Library’s turntable either for personal enjoyment or to transfer the recording onto a CD for personal use.