June 26 – August 11, 2022
How to Participate:
Register for the program at the Library, over the phone, or ONLINE beginning June 26th. Children will complete activities to earn prizes. Each activity is worth one point and may be repeated as many times as they’d like.
The activities are:
- Read a book or magazine for 20 minutes
- Write a review or draw a picture about a book
- Walk / Visit / Plant a garden
- Listen to a book: an audiobook CD, Playaway audio, Vox book or Wonderbook
- Design a bookmark contest (one entry per child)
- Attend a Library program
- Complete the weekly passive activity
- Check out a children’s puzzle or board game
- Vote in the Funky Flora Tournament
- Complete the weekly Spot It table
- Read a board book*
- Sing a song with your grownup*
*These are extra activities for babies that are participating.
Please log your activities on the paper activity tracker OR online, not both. And remember, one action may count as multiple activity points. For example, if you attend a storytime where we read a book to you, that counts as 2 points!
Who can participate?
- Babies through kids going into grade 6 in September. Little ones can participate by having someone read to them.
- For every 5 points a child earns, they are eligible to come into the Library to receive a prize. By earning 25 points, they will complete the program and get their final prize!
- Prizes are available for pickup anytime after the program start date of June 26th once a child has reached a 5 point milestone.
- Grand raffle prizes will be raffled off on August 11 for children who enter the bookmark contest this summer. To win a raffle, children must be local to Newport County and registered for the Library’s summer reading challenge.
Local support is provided by the Friends of the Newport Public Library and the City of Newport.
Back to the Summer Reading Home Page